Dal is a staple at almost every Indian meal, and there are several varieties of them. Their preparations can vary from the simple to the very elaborate.
Masur Dal (red lentils) can be purchased at most grocery stores. Their vivid bright orange colour is unmistakeable. There are a few different ways to cook it. This recipe is perhaps the most simple, and will prepare something to either serve as a standalone soup, or as an accompanying item with steamed rice.
- Two tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Half a teaspoon of Paanch Phooran (Indian Five Spice)
- Three green chillies
- Two coarsely sliced medium sized onions
- Three cups of Masur Dal (Red Lentils) – washed
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons of cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- Two quartered medium sized tomatoes
- 1,200ml of boiling water
- 1 bunch of finely chopped fresh coriander